After living in New Mexico for a year, in which the boys have attended Petroglyph Elementary, and passing the Petroglyph National Park signs daily on my commute to work, we decided it was high time we actually visited these "petroglyphs". It's like living in San Fransico and not seeing the Golden Gate Bridge...or New York City and not seeing the Statue of Liberty or Seattle and not seeing the Space Needle....
Ok, so not that dramatic, but they were still cool. And in Albuquerque we sometimes find ourselves a bit desperate for entertainment.
We went to the information cabin to find out which trail we should take. While we were looking forward to something big and exciting, Aubrey complains if she has to walk from the car to the house so we knew we couldn't do anything strenuous.
Here we are the beginning of the trail.
While we didn't take pictures of everything we saw, we did take quite a few. This first one is a lizard playing ping pong. Who knew they had ping pong back then?! :)
What I can only guess is a map?
Jeremiah got a kick out of this one. The world's first drawn sad face.
See. You can still see the trail head and Aubrey is already asking for something to drink.
The view from the beginning of the hike. It was a beautiful day.
The boys LOVED the hike. They were always in front and loved to climb on the rocks. They gave us a heart attack a few times because the rocks they chose to climb on happened to be part of a small cliff...just big enough to break their heads open.
At this point I was literally holding her hand to keep her moving. But she was a good sport and trucked along...until we started our descent, at that point Jeremiah and I took turns holding her. What a princess.
Aubrey and I hung out while the boys went up a little further with Jeremiah. I think they could have spent most of the day there playing around and climbing on things. I don't know if they even stopped to look at any of the actual petroglyphs, although I hear that our hike was one of the smaller hikes. We need to give Aubrey a 5-hour energy drink next time and try a bigger hike :) In her defense, though, it was hot, but it wasn't more than a 1/4-mile up and 1/4-mile down. But she's cute so we don't complain.




0 comments:
Post a Comment