Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Transylvania Halloween Party!

Thanks (yet again!) to Crowdtap, I was able to throw a party for my kids and their friends.
 
But not just any party. A Hotel Transylvania Halloween party!
 
My kids have seen the preview dozens of times and can't wait for it to be available at the Dollar Movies (because let's be honest, we're too poor to go to the regular theater these days!). The second best thing I could do for them was to throw them a party, right?
 
I'm really not always that creative at party-planning. And that is why I am so thankful for my Pinterest account. I found such cute ideas, most of which required time and money, both of which are in limited supply, but it did get my creative juice flowing :)
 
Want some monster juice? Witch's brew? Goblin blood? The kids came up with several names for these drinks. I love how easy they were. Green koolaid poured into clear plastic cups with perma-scowls on them!
 
 
Love the cupcake holder? Dollar store! The pumpkins were set out so the kids could color on them.

 
See all those cobwebs in the background? When was the last time I dusted?! :)



Who doesn't love worms in dirt, especially when they taste exactly like pudding, Oreos, and gummy worms?!
 

I just can't get over the dollar store cupcake holder. Unbelievably cute. The cupcakes weren't that bad either :)


Amaia was a little creeped out by all our Halloween banter. So what if I pretended I was a zombie and tried to eat her arm?!
 


The kids watched an extended sneak peek of the movie and then a Shrek Halloween cartoon, just to keep the scariness alive.
 

 
While the kids watched the show and played the Hotel Transylvania games online, we prepared for the following:
 
Want to feel brains?! I mean...ramen noodles?!?!

 
This was my favorite...as long as the kids didn't smell it. Chunky salsa = vomit.
 
Yeah...I still look at chunky salsa with a bit of hesitation.

 
Peeled grapes as eyeballs. None of the kids guessed this one.

 
The most convincing? A peeled tomato apparently feels very much like a heart. Our EMT friend said so himself :)

 
Check out these looks of disgust...




 
Our next activity was cupcake decorating. We had different color frostings, sprinkles, and M&Ms to decorate with.
 
 
Once the kids were done decorating, we added monster "eyes" - Dum Dum suckers with a peach ring wrapped around it.






 
And then, because we hadn't done enough, we colored pumpkins. I decided not to carve or paint because of the mess factor and the age of most of the kids (5 or under) but washable markers were awesome! If they messed up or changed their mind a baby wipe quickly cleaned off the pumpkin and the kids could start over. Hayden, Roman, and Aubrey continued to work on their pumpkins for several hours the next day!
 
Each kid was sent home with their colored pumpkin and a packet of Hotel Transylvania coloring pages!





0 comments: