Friday, July 20, 2012

Eight is Amazing!

I cannot believe my oldest son is eight. Eight. Like two away from ten. Like baptism age.

Holy freak.

I'm old. So is Jeremiah.

And so, in his mind, is Hayden.

Hayden wanted a Mario birthday party for.ev.er. A week before his party, after I'd Pinterested a gazillion ideas and was pumped for everything (and I mean everything) I had to do, Hayden came into my room in the early a.m. and stated he no longer wanted a Mario birthday. "Eight year olds don't have Mario parties, Mom." I couldn't argue with that, although I'm sure it's not true. So he chose a soccer party.

Remember, this is the boys whose goal is to play goalie for the US Olympics one day.

Pinterest wasn't super helpful. And I'm SO not good at drawing soccer balls, so soccer ball cupcakes were out of the question. Luckily, the Dollar Store, as usual, came through.

I found little sports flags on toothpics that served as "Go Team Go" style flags on a white frosted cupcake with mini chocolate chips. About as "soccer" as we were going to get. See...


I was lucky enough that he chose a soccer theme because it meant he really had no games he wanted to play. Just to practice soccer with his friends. Easy enough. I wasn't going to argue that one.

Of course, in any soccer game you have to include some wrestling.

Funny story. The weather was HOT and WINDY during his party. It was so windy that no matter who blocked what wind in any direction, I could not get the candles to light. So I made him pretend to blow out the candles just for the sake of the picture. And yes, I stuck 8 candles on a cupcake.


Presents...the whole reason kids have birthdays...

Beyblades and candy...two of his fave things...oh, and girls. Oh wait, he's not into girls. But Rai and Jocy were so excited for him :)


More Beyblades, or as he calls them, "Beys". BEST BIRTHDAY EVER! And a muscle tee. I was always against these until he got one for his birthday. He's kinda cute in them!




The anticipation is killing me...what is it?!

Legos! From Nana! He's been asking for Legos but I'm not a big fan of spending money on something with such small pieces that he's bound to lose. He's taken good care of his Batman Legos (so far)...


Jeremiah and I got Hayden a skateboard. He's getting better at it but still not a pro by any means. He knows all the skateboard lingo :)


Baby Mia eating the pizza crust. The best part.




How does this girl always find my phone?!

Putting together their Lego Batman stuff. We let Roman open his from Nana and Papa a week early so that they could do them together.

On Hayden's actual birthday (Sunday, June 10) we had him open the rest of his presents from us. Legos and Squinkies. Don't know what Squinkies are? Don't worry, I know what they are and I still don't see the appeal. Tiny little creatures (Avengers for this one) that are squishy and live in plastic bubbles. I'm pretty sure I vacuumed up Iron Man :)




I was all caked out so we went with the untraditional ice cream for a birthday dessert. And yes, this time the candle really is lit :)




A few fun Hayden facts:

Likes:
Being outside, meaning skateboarding and soccer
Swimming, although afraid of the deep end
Fruit, mostly peaches and berries
Nutella
Candy (who doesn't?)
Ninjago and Sonic cartoons
Going to the movie theater
Legos and Beyblades
Wii and XBox (aka Mario anything and Skylanders)

Dislikes:
Reading (we're working on that)
Being told what to do
Sitting still, especially at church
Being grounded from anything
Broccoli
PB&J sandwiches
Quesadillas (must include refried beans to be Hayden-approved
Being by himself

0 comments: