Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pearsons visit and more summer fun

Last week I dropped my camera. Face down. Broke it. Luckily I have a warranty on it. Not so luckily, it will take another week or so before I get it back. I've been avoiding my blog because it just reminds me I'm cameraless. It's pretty sad.


So, what have we been up to?


Celeste, Bryan, and their kids came to visit last week. Technically, they came to Utah for a Pearson family reunion, but I know deep down they were really coming here just to see me! We went to Discovery Park in Pleasant Grove with the boys, but didn't stay as long because we were all dying from the heat. So we headed to Arctic Circle for ice cream cones before the Pearsons took off for their family reunion. Upon returning from their adventures, we took the kids to Jumpin' Jacks and then over to Christina's for lunch (bbq chicken salad!) and craft day. The kids splashed in the kiddie pool, jumped on the trampoline, and played with their cousins. Aubrey even climbed into the kiddie pool, a big step for her! Finally, I drove out to Heber and met Celeste and her family at McDonalds for lunch and some play time - yeah, I know, a half hour drive for McDs? I really was just there for the company, I needed some sister time. Celeste and I then went to dessert that night at CPK. It was the only time we had to ourselves to hang out, although a trip to Park City would have been pretty awesome too.



I found myself feeling selfish for my time with Celeste. With three kids, a part-time job, and a husband studying for the bar, I don't get much time to get out of the house with friends. I especially miss my sisters and my mom, knowing that they are only a few miles from each other yet a thousand miles from me. Even though I saw Celeste on several occasions, it wasn't enough for me, and I'm lucky that my mom came a few days later to fill the void. Now, how am I going to get Carissa out here?


I loved seeing Celeste's kids. Rix and Hayden are very similar, which makes me feel better because I thought Hayden's mood swings and desire to be in control were just a Hayden thing, but now I'm thinking it might be a six-year-old thing. Rix used to be quite unimaginative, everything needed to make sense to him, so it was nice to see him playing pretend with the kids, dressing up like a ninja (and scaring Aubrey with his costume!). Bryce loved Aubrey, too. He kept playing with her and making sure she was okay. Aubrey now thinks any redheaded boy is "Bice." And Cole just melts my heart, although his scream kills my ears!


Hayden had his last tee ball game last Saturday. He finally got to play first base, which everyone fights over because they get to catch the ball a lot. He really enjoyed his team this year, his coaches taught him a lot about throwing and catching the ball, and he loved that his games were right across the street from the hospital because it meant he sometimes got to see the Life Flight helicopter come and go.


The boys have been doing homework every day since summer started. I got some workbooks at the dollar store that they breezed through, and I've been working on teaching Hayden addition and subtraction. As long as he can count on his fingers he's good! Roman is learning to write his name. He gets easily frustrated and I have to sit down with him and encourage him to keep trying, but eventually he gets his name down and is quite proud of himself. I find out in a few weeks if Roman is accepted into the Headstart program. Hayden starts 1st grade on August 25.


Aubrey is walking and slightly running. Mom says she walks like a man, which I'm pretending to not be offended by. Aubrey says a lot of words now, even if to a stranger she still sounds like she's speaking gibberish. At least I can understand her, right? She says play, ball, mom, dad, nana, papa, Bryce, Cole, Jack, up, please, thanks, hot (learned that after touching my flat iron), baby, binky, guys (aka brothers), sorry, me, more, bite, dog, fries, want that, and Lady Gaga (sounds like Gay gaga) :) She loves to "play" games, mostly Trouble and Connect 4. She runs to the game cabinet and says, "Me play!" and then spends 15 minutes deciding what to play. She's really good about picking up her games before she goes for another, though.

Jeremiah is in the final stretch of studying for the bar. He leaves in two days for Dallas and he's starting to feel the pressure. I've been trying to support him as much as I can, taking care of the house and kids so that he doesn't have anything else to worry about. He studies from 8am until sometime late at night, far after I've gone to bed. He usually takes a few breaks for meals and to gather his sanity, and the kids look forward to seeing him when they can. I can easily say that we are all looking forward to the end of all this!

I've been keeping busy with work and kids. I'm trying to stay organized with a chore chart for the kids, they just earned enough stickers to have a pajama party with their cousins, complete with pizza, a movie, and milkshakes. And a lot of blankets on the floor! Besides work and kids, I've been playing Lego Harry Potter on the Wii, watching tv, reading, and spending time in the kitchen (I made my first souffle on Monday!).

We are surviving and enjoying our summer. The best part? It's not over yet!

5 comments:

Stina said...

Thanks for updating your blog. I'm glad you are able to get a camera replacement! And, I'm sorry everyone is so far away from you. Maybe you should reconsider a Texas move to maybe an Idaho or Oregon move??

And, I love that Aubrey can say Lady Gaga. Can she really? Or is she just talking gibberish (gaga--get it?).

Did you ever get pictures on your blocks? Let's get together next week! Reservoir?

Celeste Pearson said...

I am also selfish with my Celeste time :)

Anyway, I felt the same way! Bryan asked me when we were driving back to Washington if there was anything I didn't get to do that I wanted to, and I said spend more time with Kelli! (Park City maybe?? Next time!)

And I love that Hayden't T-ball games had a hidden agenda. My kids would have totally played if they got to see a helicopter!!

Leslie said...

Are you going to move to Texas? Did Jeremiah get a job there? You just got back to Utah. We need to get together again soon.

Carissa Poyfair said...

See? You can totally update your blog without pictures! I want to see video of some of Aubrey's talking, specifically Lady Gaga. You have been busy! Sorry you didn't get a lot of Celeste time. Hopefully I can come out some time and we can hang out all day long :)

Heather said...

You're playing Lego Harry Potter, too?! I love that game. :) I've also got Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, and Lego Indiana Jones. Wow, I sound like a huge nerd now! Haha. But I don't care, the games are so fun! Anyway, love the update. :)