Sunday, April 25, 2010

The day we've been waiting for!!!

We have been waiting for this day forever...or at least three years. Both descriptions seem about accurate. Jeremiah graduated from law school on Friday, April 23. Although he technically graduated from the University of Toledo College of Law, he spent his third year of school at Brigham Young University and therefore walked with the BYU Class of 2010 for graduation. Graduation was held at the Provo Tabernacle, which is beautiful. My niece, Natalie, watched Aubrey, and after two hours in the benches with the boys, I sort of wish she'd watched them too. But it was important to Jeremiah that the boys be there for his special occasion, and after three years of studying and studying and studying...and finals...how could I say no to that simple request? Roman and I made a few trips up and down the spiral stairs, Roman threw Hayden's gum onto some poor, unsuspecting man, and they played games on my phone until the battery died. But in the end, we got to see Jeremiah graduate and I was so proud to see him receive his diploma. Jeremiah's worked really hard for this accomplishment and even with some of the events in the last three years, he did amazing.

Jeremiah's sister, Amy, and her son, Edmund, flew out for Jeremiah's graduation. Jeremiah was excited that his sister would be here to support him and celebrate with him.

This is the only picture I have of Jeremiah walking. My camera decided that the lighting was too poor and didn't take any more photos (unless you want to see a lot of black???) and my video camera ran out of tape. Luckily Amy, Josette, and Melanie took photos and video for me too.

After graduation, there was a reception out on the lawn, but it was also cold, windy, and rainy so we just took some pictures before heading out to change clothes before dinner.
Jeremiah's mother was so proud of him!
I was also so proud of him...and super excited to have a break from being the law school wife. The dean had all the graduating students stand up and applaud their family and friends who supported them through law school, and because I couldn't see Jeremiah during this time, I later told him he better have just about clapped his hands off for me!
After changing clothes, we went to Brick Oven for dinner. Brick Oven is usually a staple when Amy is in town, and because we got there so early (before 5pm!) we got seated almost immediately. I love their salad bar. In fact, when I am pregnant I crave their salad bar.
After dinner, Amy and Steve took Jeremiah to run a few errands, including picking him up a new iPod Touch (I'm pretending it's really mine, I love it) and ice cream and toppings for what was supposed to be a family gathering for cupcakes and ice cream. However, I had other plans. I got in touch with some of Jeremiah's friends and planned a surprise graduation party for him. It was a lot of fun. Josette, Melanie, and I decorated the house in blue and white. Jeremiah was really surprised to come in and see his family and friends there. I was surprised too...that no one ruined the surprise! I thought for sure he would figure it out, but I must be getting sneaky in my old(er) age.

Jeremiah greeting Matt, one of his friends from high school.
Here's the table. It included blue and white York bites (not M&Ms as most people thought), chocolate graduation caps (inspired by Bakerella ), and "Y" cupcakes. Although I wasn't thinking clearly, because most of the children were later running around with blue-tinted faces. The picture on the easel is a Constitution reprint from Cultural Hall that I got for Jeremiah for graduation. Hopefully it makes a great piece for his office one day.
Aubrey with her ice cream. Any shyness she had for all the strangers around her was pushed aside when she had her ice cream. Everyone was her friend, that's how happy she was.
Jeremiah's friends from high school, Matt and Rachelle.
Jeremiah's sister, Sophie, was in town picking up her daughter, Cecile, and she had great timing. She was able to come to Jeremiah's party!
Jeremiah's friend, Justin, who has a knack for wrestling with my boys (they slept so well that night!).
Justing wasn't the only one who wrestled with the boys. Cecile and Natalie had to get their wrestling in, too. It's so fun to have nieces who love my kids so much! They are so awesome!

Overall, it was a fun day, but by the end, we were exhausted. In fact, I'm pretty sure the dishes weren't done until the following afternoon and we all slept in until 8am the next day (which really isn't sleeping in for me, but when the kids are usually up at 7am, I can't complain). Thanks to everyone who made it such a special day for Jeremiah. He made it through three years of law school and survived, I'm so proud of him!

7 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

I am so happy he is finally done! It is so cool to me that he had a desire to do law school and then actually did it! It is something I don't think I could ever do. Congrats Jage! And I laughed at the gum incident. Was the guy mad? And the grad pic with Roman and Hayden. It is such a realistic picture of how they really are :)

CANDACE said...

Awesome! Congrats to all of you lafrancas!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Roman threw Hayden's gum?! I'm so glad I was not that man! LOVED the cupcakes and grad hats. They turned out really cute! You were so good at hiding his surprise party that I didn't even know about it! It looks like it turned out really great. Congrats to Jage! And you for putting up with his studying for three years!

Stina said...

Congrats Jage! I'm so happy for you to be able to have your husband without homework or tests. That is really incredible and such an accomplishment!

Sorry we missed the party. Soccer went long and the kids didn't have dinner and were ready for bed after. I thought I'd save everyone from suffering with us....

Shill and Company said...

I am also proud of my "little" cousin and his graduation from law school. I was happy that we were able to see you all there and join in on the celebration for a little while.

Sarah said...

So fun! You guys look so happy in the graduation pictures! (i can't wait for the next three years to be over too ... well, you know what i mean!) Anyway, you are so cute with those graduation caps ... little holly home maker you are!

Thanks for the chat last night ... it really helped us figure things out a little more.

Rachelle said...

So glad we could share this awesome day with you guys!!! Love the pic of the dude hug. :)