Friday, August 8, 2008

My Dorks (who I think take after me)

The other evening at my water aerobics class, I was forewarned that the water was freezing and the best way to get used to it is to just jump in. I hate getting my hair wet (usually the class doesn't get it that wet) but not wanting to seem like a sissy, I jumped. And up went my tankini top. Who makes maternity tankinis so loose?! Apparently Old Navy does. Luckily I was still underwater as I realized my Janet-Jackson moment and fixed anything that needed to be fixed before coming up from the water. Seriously, Old Navy...more coverage!

In my footsteps, my children have their dork moments. Here's a picture of Roman and Hayden giving us a "thumbs-up" sign. Notice Roman's idea of thumbs...


Hayden also had his "moment" earlier the same day. Hayden was taking a nap in my bed, which is a little high off the ground. About 15 minutes after putting the kids down, we heard a huge crash, and since Roman is in a crib, I knew that Hayden must have fallen out of my bed. I felt really guilty that I did not put a pillow on the side to ensure he wouldn't fall out, something I normally remember to do. He had a HUGE goose egg on his forehead and was crying for a while, and when Hayden cries you know he's really hurt. I spent the next hour pampering him, both to make him feel better and to squash some of my own guilt. What kind of mother am I?! So about an hour later, I ask him if he rolled off the bed and he looks at me and says, "No, I was just doing flip-overs." What?! Here I am beating myself up for his fall, when the whole time he did this to himself? Hayden's "flip-overs" are front flips that he taught himself to do. So, I've learned not to let him nap in my bed anymore, and he's learned that flip-overs are really only meant for the floor. Oh, and we signed up him for gymnastics at the YMCA next session. He really needs an outlet.

5 comments:

CANDACE said...

i LOVE the thumbs up pose!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Yeah, your kids are dorks... and yeah, they probably get it from you. It's a Hjelm thing. My kids are dorks too. I think we get it from Dad. Let's blame him! :) I love Roman's thumbs up... and good idea about the gymnastics thing!

M2 (Melissa) said...

I love the pictures!! The swimsuit thing has happened to me - I have to watch it everytime!!! You are so cute pregnant by the way!!!

Stina said...

So, first and foremost--you are not a dork. But, I'm excited to hear more "Kelli" stories ("Stina" Stories happen waaaay too often!!). I have to tell you though, I was in my yoga class and we were doing head stands--or just resting or knees on our elbows. I was feeling so good, so I thought I'd try to do a headstand. I don't know what I was thinking since I've never done one before!!! Anyway, I did a back flip and since i was in the back of the class, everyone could see me. Who's the dork??

Celeste Pearson said...

I LOVE the pictures. And your pool story made me laugh so hard! I would say I would have loved to have been there, but that would be weird, right? Anyway, your children are hilarious. Any luck picking out names for a girl yet??